news

[news][bleft]

Entertainment

[Entertainment][bsummary]

Sabina England: Bihar feels like home.

"Both my parents were born and raised in Bihar. Many of my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents grew up in Bihar. My mother is from Patna and my father is from Saharsa. My younger brother was also born in Bihar although he grew up in USA. My mother’s family has strong ties to the city of Patna. My great-grandfather was a mayor of Patna. My grandfather (from my father’s family) was involved with Quit India protests in Bihar. When I was a child living in the UK, we used to travel to Bihar many times to visit family, so Bihar feels like home."




She is Sabina England,  a Storyteller, filmmaker and theater artist who has been featured in local and national publications such as Alternet, The Guardian (UK), Sepia Mutiny, Start BiH (Bosnia), just to name a few. She had grown up both in England and United States. Sabina is an Indian Muslim, and very proud of her background. She has her roots in Bihar. She has been profoundly deaf since she was a baby. One of her earliest works, “Being Deaf,” was published in an anthology of poetry in 1995. When she was 21 years old, she landed her first playwriting opportunity with Kali Theatre, which read her one-act play “Chess for Asian Punks, Greek Losers and Dorks” at Theatre Royal Stratford East in London, UK.



In an interview, when asked who she is, she uttered with a smile that

I am a deaf filmmaker, playwright, performance artist, and ASL poet based in St. Louis, USA. I write, direct, edit and perform in my own short films. I also write poetry and stage plays. I love to perform in American Sign Language. I pretty much do everything in the arts except music! I am profoundly deaf. I cannot hear anything in both ears so I wear hearing aids but they don’t really help me all that much. I cannot hear music or sounds. I was lucky to have attended a good deaf school as a child, where the teachers taught me to read lips, read and write English with a strong emphasis on grammar skills. I loved reading books and watching movies as a child, so I was very aware about the world.

 Her works have received worldwide fame and acclaim. But, back in India, not many people are aware of her geniousness...



We appreciate your work, lady!!! Good works must be kept on..
ALL THE BEST SABINA!!!👍
Post A Comment
  • Blogger Comment using Blogger
  • Facebook Comment using Facebook
  • Disqus Comment using Disqus

No comments :


Youth Icon

[Youth Icon][threecolumns]

Travel

[Travel][list]

Facts

[Facts][grids]